CODE 2, VOL 31, NO 18 : 12 may 2017
Bullying and harassment in Central Region – Update
You are no doubt aware that your union recently did a survey of members in the Central Region, identifying their exposure to examples of bullying and harassment.
The results of that survey were alarming. As a result, I have been speaking to Fire and Rescue about the urgent need for an independent, external investigation into these matters in the region.
I am pleased to report that on Friday 12 May 2017, Commissioner Carroll wrote to me confirming that –
- An external investigation into bullying and harassment, management action and management behaviour in the Central Region will occur; and
- The investigation will be performed by an organisation who specialises in these sorts of investigations; and
- Your union will be involved in establishing the terms of reference for that investigation; and
- Your involvement, should you choose to come forward (and your union encourages you to do so) will be treated confidentially; and
- The report that the external investigators provide will go only to the Commissioner for action; and
- Any resulting action will treat the information you brought forward in a confidential manner.
In addition to the investigation, I am also very pleased to announce that Fire and Rescue have also agreed to implement an ongoing, external and independent body to receive information, allegations and complaints about workplace behaviour.
This body will also treat all information provided as confidential and will not be part of the existing PSBA, QFES, or Fire and Rescue system. We hope this body will be able to be trusted by those wishing to come forward, and that the problems that exist not only in Central Region, but across the state, will begin to be addressed appropriately.
I will keep you informed as these commitments by the Commissioner begin to take shape.
John Oliver - General Secretary
Authorised by John Oliver General Secretary
United Firefighters' Union of Australia, Union of Employees QLD