FIRE COMMUNICATIONS UPDATE - 06 november 2020
IMPLEMENTATION OF FIRECOM ROSTER PRINCIPLES AND CA19 PART-TIME EMPLOYMENT CONDITIONS
As you would know, the UFUQ has been working with QFES for quite some time on the CA19 clause 103 commitment to implementing roster principles within Firecom. You will also recall that the UFUQ and QFES agreed to commence the CA19 part-time employment conditions at the same time as the roster principles are implemented.
The past few months have presented a lot of difficulties for both the UFUQ and QFES, and I know this project has taken much longer than anticipated. I thank you for your patience.
I also thank FCO (and UFUQ State Committee of Management Firecom Representative) Tristana Brougham, FCS Michelle Siranovic and FCM Michelle McLeod for their engagement in the working group on behalf of UFUQ Firecom members and for assisting UFUQ Industrial Officers in this project work.
I am pleased to report that we are now working towards an implementation date of Monday 23 November 2020.
As we work towards this implementation date, there are still a few things for the working group to address –
• administrative processes need to be finalised to ensure the agreed peer to peer shift swap policy is ready to be published on 23 November 2020, and
• a part-time arrangement form is being developed to facilitate discussions between FCMs and part-time employees required by clause 102(f) of CA19.
However, I have every confidence we will get there.
Next week a roster principles ‘Microsoft Teams’ video roadshow commences. This roadshow will be jointly presented by the UFUQ and QFES, and there will be sufficient time provided for Q&A.
Roadshow sessions will be held at the following times –
• 1000 Monday 9 November 2020 – FCMs
• 1400 Monday 9 November 2020 – FCSs
• 1000 Tuesday 10 November 2020 – C shift Brisbane, South East, North Coast and Northern
• 1830 Tuesday 10 November 2020 – B shift Brisbane, South East, North Coast and Northern
• 1400 Wednesday 11 November 2020 – C shift South West, Central and Far Northern
• 1830 Wednesday 11 November 2020 – B shift South West, Central and Far Northern
• 1000 Thursday 12 November 2020 – D shift Brisbane, South East, North Coast and Northern
• 1400 Thursday 12 November 2020 – D shift South West, Central and Far Northern
• 1000 Saturday 14 November 2020 – A shift Brisbane, South East, North Coast and Northern
• 1400 Saturday 14 November 2020 – A shift South West, Central and Far Northern
The sessions will include information relating to the payroll configuration for part-time employees.
If you have not received the ‘Microsoft Teams’ meeting invite relevant to you, please raise this with your FCM.
Following the roadshow, the most urgent priority will be ensuring that all part-time agreements are in place. I will provide more information on this matter soon, but I remind all members that the UFUQ is available to support you in those discussions.
This is a significant milestone for Firecom members and it represents the culmination of a lot of work which commenced during CA16. The introduction of the roster principles and the CA19 part-time employment conditions will improve consistency in rostering practices across the state as well as the work-life balance for part-time Firecom members by providing predictable, regular and systematic work arrangements.
John Oliver - General Secretary
Authorised by John Oliver General Secretary
United Firefighters' Union of Australia, Union of Employees QLD